Friday, November 14, 2008

Going to His Eternal Home

On the evening of November 13, around 8:30 Allan went to bed for the night in the hospice bed that had just been placed in Allan and Eunice’s living room at CRC two days earlier. A little later, Eunice curled up on the adjacent couch with pillow and blanket, staying nearby her husband in case he needed her during the night. November 13th had been a particularly lovely day. After a rainy wind storm had swept through the Cascade foothills for several days, the sun came out that morning, and the air was fresh and clean. As Allan lay in his hospital bed during the day, he asked for the front door to be left open part of the time.

Allan had learned just a few days earlier that the bone cancer had spread to his lungs, and he was not expected to live long. While such news was initially shocking to Allan and the family, family members noticed a peace come over him a few days later, and it became apparent that he was ready to go. During the last two days, he was able to pray a blessing over his children and his grandchildren as well, including some of the out-of-state grandchildren who did not get back to Oregon in time to see him. They were all included in his last special blessing prayers.

Just around midnight on the 13th, Allan woke up and told Eunice he wanted to get some fresh air and asked her to help him. Together, they walked over to the front door, while Allan leaned on his wife’s arm. Eunice opened the door, and for about a minute the two stood side by side. And then suddenly without notice, Allan slumped into Eunice’s arms. She laid him down on the floor and quickly phoned Tim and Julie (who live on the grounds). At that point, she wasn’t sure whether he had just fainted or was gone. When the kids arrived, the three of them determined together that Allan had indeed gone home to be with the Lord.

Phone calls were made to Allan and Eunice’s two daughters, Marilyn and Ellen, who immediately came to the center with Allan's son-in-law, Terry. The family was able to spend two hours of precious and tearful time together before the funeral home arrived. While it seems very amazing that just like that he is suddenly gone, sooner than had been hoped for, there is a real blessing in that he did not suffer or go through any kind of pain. The Lord had His timing, and it was the perfect time. Be that as it may, it is hard to let go of a husband, a father, a father-in-law, and a grandfather like Allan Hansen. While we know with full confidence that he is in his wonderful eternal home now, he will always be missed. And the imprint of his life will remain in our hearts till the end of our own lives when we are once again reunited.

Note: The date and time for Allan’s memorial service will be announced sometime in the next couple days on this blog. Also a video of Allan is being put together. If you have photos or video clips of Allan with your family, please email copies to Carina Wood (CRC staff member) at carina.wood@gmail.com or contact CRC as soon as possible.

13 comments:

Laurel said...

What a beautiful way to enter into the Lord's presence ... in the arms of the one that you love.

While our hearts grieve with yours, we are so thankful to have known Allan for 19 years. Several of our children had the privilege to be baptized by Allan in the creek, and we will always treasure those memories.

We thank the Lord for Allan, and for the rest of your family. You have blessed our lives in so many ways.

Love & Prayers,

Jim & Laurel
Gregg, Cassie, Jeremiah, Carissa, Lindsey, Josh,
Ben, Jacob, Hosanna, Sarah, Josiah, Rachel, & Elijah

Dan said...

Wow!! I am so sorry to hear of Allan's homecoming (homegoing?). I had just received the postcard in today's mail alerting me of his illness. I was checking the blog to see if there was updated info. I had the privilege of meeting Allan when I spent a couple days at CRC on a personal retreat. I appreciated his hospitality (as well as that of Eunice) and hearing a little bit about how CRC came to be. The couple days spent at CRC was such a blessing. What a great man of God. I pray for the family that the Lord would be very close to you during these days as you grieve but also as you celebrate such a wonderful life!!

Blessings!!
Dan

Lindsey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lindsey said...

Wow, what a rich and blessed life Allan had. I know that for as long as I can remember he was like a grandpa to me. When I was nine years old he baptized me; what a joy that was.

Allan's life spoke of the love and care of the Lord. He lived as a servant to many, never selfishly asking of anything. I will forever treasure the memories and love that was shared at CRC. It will always be a special "home" to me, and part of the reason is because of the open arms that Allan and Eunice, and the entire Hansen family, welcomed me with each year.

Love and Hugs,

Lindsey <><

Anonymous said...

Our hearts are broken to know that we won't be seeing Allan again at CRC, in person, but our hearts are also rejoicing to know that Allan is now totally healed and in the presence of his Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ-the One that you could always see in Allan's life! He prayed blessings over our lives on several occasions and he was such a prayer warrior - during our weeks at summer camp there at CRC, we would go, early to pray at the rotunda, and Allan would always be there praying when we arrived.

We are so glad that he and Eunice were together when he passed away -we love you Eunice and know that our prayers are with you and the family at this time!

Love & Blessings,

Linda and Gary Palmer
Boise, Idaho

Unknown said...

Eunice (and family)
It is with a heavy heart but also with the knowledge that Allan was truly a 'favored one of the Lord' that we hear of his 'graduation'. I (Kathy) just got back Friday--a week ago-- from being overseas a month, and George mentioned Saturday about calling and coming to visit you both. I was not yet on this time physically, and so I demurred. Now I so wish that we had called, and at least heard both of your voices one more time. You both have been like family to us. And we love you.
We grieve with you and for you, for I know that even with the celebration of no more suffering, and Allan being with the Lord, there is a heavy heart for his presence as husband (and father).
We just got the card, and were getting online to leave a message, when we saw the update.
Truly you both changed our lives. Allan's love was always shining forth as a true light of Jesus. We enjoyed our conversations and times together since we have been back in the Portland area so much. Words cannot say.
What a beautiful way the Lord chose to bring him home.
We love you, Eunice,
George and Kathy Reis

Irene said...

I have looked over the years that I have known Allan Hansen. He has been the one pastor who I remember with such joy and peace because of his wonderful laughter and the simple way he spoke and the tears of joy that he shed. Allan, I will miss you, but I am so grateful that I saw you before all this took place. Thank you for being my friend. To the Hansen family: You are loved very deeply and I appreciate you all for your dedication to this wonderful man of God, who so mirrored the image of Christ in his manner that people fell in love with him instantly. Thank you all and my God give you the peace and joy of the same kind of memories I have had. Irene Wells

Anonymous said...

Some years ago Allan precided over myself and my husband at a V's Day Marriage retreat, as we renewed our marriage vows. We'd been married in a small civil ceremony, never married by a pastor. This being a second, blended marriage (7 kids), we were experiencing all the associated difficulties.

The way Allan spoke to us, so fatherly and full of faith, was not only touching but encouraging for us to not give up and to press through. He pulled out his guitar after and we sang some simple love songs to Jesus after. I was crying.

Today Glenn and I celebrate 17 years of marriage, 20 years of relationship. Our children are all grown, we have 13 grandchildren.

...and I am so blessed to have known Allan and Eunice, and pray for comfort and peace for all the family and friends...

Joy,

Nola Smith
Vancouver Vineyard Church
Vancouver, Wa
(palmnola@msn.com)

Jaylin said...

Oh, what a shock! We are praying for your family. We know that Allan is in the presence of Almighty God, and we rejoice in this. We thank the Lord that he did not have to suffer. Allan fought his illness with courage and dignity, and now he has found ultimate peace.

Now we pray for the peace and comfort that only God can give you, Eunice, and the rest of the family. What an impact Allan's life has made for the Glory of God! We are very grateful to have known such a wonderfully loving and genuine representative of Christ our Lord! Allan is a very special man and will be missed greatly by everyone who knew him.

We are praying that the peace of God will overshadow you, and that He will give you the grace and strength to make it through this most difficult time.

Much love in Christ,

Jay, Jaylin, Alexis, and Eric

Anonymous said...

Dearest Eunice and family:
I am writing through my tears as I read of Pastor Allan’s homegoing. My thoughts of him being with my mom and dad (Bill and Betty Thaten) bring joy to my heart.
You have meant so much to me and my family that I cannot even begin to express it all.
You are in my prayers for a special blessing.
With my deepest sympathies,
Doris Brown

Jonathan King said...

Praise the Lord for the heritage left by Mr. Hansen. It is so good to have examples of men who have followed the Lord with all their strength in this life. God used his life to touch many people, me included. Thanks Tim and Julie (and family) for letting us be a part of the celebration! May God continue to bless CRC.

Janie said...

Tim & Julie, Eunice and family,

We're never ready, are we? To say goodby. My heart grieves with you, my heart celebrates with you. (Allen is in the presence of God!!) Allen is one of the few men, that I've known presonally, who is the "real deal." His example, his faith, his gentle spirit..... have affected my life, more than words can express. Although our lives changed, some good/some bad, CRC was ALWAYS a "constant" in my life, and my kids. Having Lacey work there in the summers was life-changing for her. I wept for you all, but I also had genuine tears, for Allen, that he's in HEAVEN!!

Warm Blessings from Janie, Rudy, Lacey and Darci (and all our loved ones who are a result of the love, guidence, prayers from Allen and CRC)
Most Sincerely,
Janie

Anonymous said...

Eunice and family-- don't know if you remember Chris and I...workers in Mongolia who have been blessed by your letters and the CRC many times. Just found out Allen's gone to be with Jesus....though we're sad for Eunice and the family, what a wonderful new Year he is having with our King! We will keep Eunice in our prayers.